Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Posted by Mrs. Koehn On 1:24 PM
I never did find another awesome app like Educreations, so you're stuck with just a regular ol' video, but I hope it helps to explain tonight's homework as well as the approach we take to laying the foundation for subtracting with two digit numbers using regrouping.  


The students really have a great mastery (not just surface knowledge of the process) of the math concepts behind the algorithms and I am thrilled they have such a solid base for learning!  

I do have a few students who struggle mightily with these concepts, however.  These few tend to be the students who are not yet fluent in their math facts as these strategies require students to add and subtract in several steps.  If your child falls into this category it's okay for them to simply use the number line to count backwards to the answer.  Realize, however, that this is not solving the problem, just giving them tools to get by for now.  

You will continue to see videos from me any time that I think the math lesson differs from "how we were taught" (although I'm older than all of you!)  I hope it helps, but don't do battle over math homework!  If your child doesn't understand, I'm here early every morning and can always help!! 

Let me know if you have any questions!

0 comments:

Post a Comment